Monday, September 17, 2012

Artist of the Week - Lance Graves - Sisters Art & Gifts (Ann Arbor, MI)

Meet Lance Graves, an accomplished artist specializing in intricate Pen & Ink Illustrations and Original Paintings.   Taking a blank paper, Lance fills it with very detailed art work of celebrities, including: Justin Bieber, Kid Rock, Ziggy Pop, and Michael Jackson, just to name a few. 

We recently had a chance to speak with Lance regarding his art, how he got started and discovered that one of his drawings will even be featured on a popular, cable tv reality show!

Tell us a little bit about you:

I was born in February of 1964, a leap year. The One Day I Thought This collection started out as twenty-nine different works of art, corresponding to the number of days in my birth month… And has grown to feature over 50 pieces in recent years.

As far back as I can remember, I had a crayon in my hand. By the time I reached adolescence, I knew that art would be my career. Throughout my teen years, I refined my artistic skills and with the encouragement and support of my parents, I continued to pursue my creative endeavors.

I attended the Center for Creative Studies in downtown Detroit, where I studied Graphic Design and Illustration. I then went on to do an internship at General Motors Photographic in Warren, Michigan, an experience that was instrumental in preparing me for the “working world” of graphic arts. Since then, I have done commercial art for a broad range of companies, including Great Lakes Distribution Inc., Comerica Bank, Global Interface, Brewer & Associates, Fine Point Design, All Star-Desk, Crain Communications, AutoWeek, Automotive News, and AutoAlert.



What words best describe your art?
Detailed, Creative, Deep. 

What inspires your art?
The Love of Art! Trying to bring something newish and creative to the world.

When did you first begin making pen & ink drawings/paintings?
I started the "One Day I Thought This" series 21 years ago and I have over 50 Pen & Ink Illustrations.

On average, how long does it take for you to complete an original drawing?
Well, it depends on the complexity sometimes they keep evolving. Nay where from 20 to 40 hours for something 12x18 inch range and over a 100 hours for some of the Pieces in the Musicians series.

Did you take any classes or have any professional training for your art?
I have been creative my whole life. I also studied Design & Illustration at Center for Creative Studies in Detroit for 4 years.

What is the average price range for your art?
Originals are expensive. I sell prints in the $20-25 range for smalls prints 12" x 16" and $40-60 for 19" x 25" inch prints.

What do you enjoy most about creating your artwork?
Creating my artwork!! Starting with and idea and a blank piece of canvas or paper and seeing it turn into something.

Do you have a website, facebook page, blog displaying your work?

Do you make custom artwork (custom orders)?
Yes, but it is expensive as they take many hours to complete.

Of all of the art pieces you have created, which one is your favorite?
Probably the Michael Jackson Illustration! I did a lot of research approx 20 hours archiving materials and such. The over 100 hours to illustrate the piece! It came out real good, and I recently sold the original I will be appearing on TruTV's Hard Core Pawn in the Fall I sold on the show, but not to who you might think!


You can view a large selection of Lance's Pen & Ink Illustrations Prints and Original Paintings Prints, including prints of the Michael Jackson illustration, at Sisters Art & Gifts Gallery and Gift Shop in Westland Mall (Westland, MI) and Briarwood Mall (Ann Arbor, MI).


No comments:

Post a Comment